Products Detail
Item Code Specifications Price (RM)
ST0025-80 65 H x 92 L x 26 W (CM) 0.00

HISTORY

US Coast Guards Academy’s Eagle was built in 1936. Serving as a seafaring classroom for approximately 175 cadets and instructors, this 295 foot square rigged ship is built with three masts, 21,350 square foot of sail, and five miles of rigging. Home ported at the CG Academy, New London, Connecticut, it is the only operational commissioned sailing vessel in the United States maritime services. The Eagle receives its name from the original Eagle commissioned in 1792. The original was commissioned two years after the formation of the revenue Marine, the predecessor of today’s Coast Guard. The current Eagle is the seventh to bear the proud name, and was built by the Blohm & Voss Shipyard, Hamburg, Germany. Originally built as a German training vessel, the United States took the ship as a war prize after World War II. On May 15, 1946 toady’s Eagle was commissioned into the U.S. Coast Guard and sailed from Bremerhaven, Germany to New London, Connecticut. The training the U.S. Coast Guard cadets receive on the Eagle is invaluable. For many, their first taste of salt air and life at sea are experienced on her decks. They are able to practically apply navigation, engineering and other training they learn in the classroom.